If you are using any computer that is not a PC issued by Houghton, you will most likely need to map several network drives in order to access the network resources available on campus. These network resources will only be available to you when you are on campus or (if a faculty member) accessing an on-campus connection through the VPN client.
Microsoft Windows XP, Vista, or 7
- Right click on My Computer (or, in Vista or 7, click on the windows menu, then right click on Computer) and click on Map Network Drive
- Select the letter drive you would like the network drive to be mapped to.
- Input the network address of the network drive (network addresses are listed below).
- It should then ask you for your Houghton username and password. Include the @houghton.edu in your username.
- Click Finish.
- Click the background of your Mac Desktop.
- In the top left corner of your Desktop you will see Finder.
- To the right of Finder, click Go and then Connect to Server.
- Place your curser in the Server Address bar.
- Enter the code "smb:" followed by the network address of the resource you are trying to access (see below for network addresses)
- To create an alias to your H drive, hold down the control key and click on the new firstName.lastName (H Drive) icon on your Desktop.
- Select Make Alias
- Rename the alias to what you would like it to be.
- Students - "\\home.houghton.edu\students\FirstName.LastName##"
- Facutly / Staff - "\\home.houghton.edu\employees\FirstName.LastName"
- Mac OS X
- Students - "smb://home.houghton.edu/students/FirstName.LastName##"
- Faculty / Staff - "smb://home.houghton.edu/employees/FirstName.LastName"
- Mac OSX
- Helpdesk Tools
- Mac OSX