Connecting to the Fortigate SSL VPN
The Fortigate SSL VPN allows connections to the internal Houghton College network from outside the college network (anywhere an internet connection is available). This provides a secure tunnel between your device and the college network, over which all of your network traffic will flow. Both your traffic to the internet and the internal college network are sent over this encrypted link, so any network traffic sent from your device will be encrypted. To facilitate the VPN connection, client software is available to download and install for Windows and Mac devices.
Installing the Client Software
To install the vpn client software on your Windows PC, follow the instructions below. You will need to have administrative privileges on your PC in order to perform the installation.
- Download the file attached to the bottom of this article called "windows_ssl_vpn_client_32bit.exe" (or you can use the 64bit version if you know for sure that you have a 64 bit operating system). Save this file to a location you can easily find, such as your desktop.
- Double-click the "windows_ssl_vpn_client_32bit.exe" file that you have downloaded to run the VPN client installer. If you receive a security warning dialog, click "Run" to execute the installer.
- Once the installer window opens, look to the bottom right for the "Install" button. If this button is not grayed-out, click it and move on to step 5. If the button is grayed-out, click "Run as administrator" on the bottom-left of the installer.
- After clicking "Run as administrator," you will see a user account control security dialog appear. Click "Yes" to continue running the installer, and then click "Install" in the VPN installer window as shown below.
- After you click the "Install" button, you will need to wait for the installation to be performed. When the installer displays "Done" in the bottom left of the status window, you can click the "Close" button in the bottom-right of the vpn installer window as shown below.
- The VPN client has now been installed. To run it, click the Start Orb, click "All Programs," expand the "FortiClient" folder, and click "FortiClient SSL VPN."
- When the "FortiClient SSLVPN" window opens (pictured below), you may proceed to "Creating the Connection Profile and Completing the Connection" for Windows. The instructions here are demonstrated for a Windows 7 machine, but should be similar for any other Windows versions.
To install the SSL VPN client on a Mac, follow the instructions below. You will need to have administrative rights in order to install the software.
- Download the file attached to this article called "vpn_client_mac.dmg". Save this file to a location you can easily find, such as your desktop.
- Double-click the "vpn_client_mac.dmg" file that you have downloaded to run the VPN client installer.
- The contents of the installer will be exctracted to "forticlientsslvpn.pkg", which will open in a Finder window. Double click the "forticlientsslvpn.pkg" icon to continue.
- Next, the "Install Fortinet forticlientsslvpn" window will open. Click "Continue", and follow the installation prompts.
- Once you have completed the install wizard, you will see a screen saying "The installation was successful." Click the "Close" button at the bottom right of the window to close the installation wizard.
- You may then close the "forticlientsslvpn.pkg" Finder window and eject the "forticlientsslvpn.pkg" from your desktop.
- Now, you will want to open the Forticlient SSL VPN software. To do this, click on your Desktop, then click "Go" and select "Applications" from the dropdown menu. Then, double-click "forticlientsslvpn". The window shown below will open, at which point you may proceed to "Creating the Connection Profile and Completing the Connection" for Mac.
Creating the Connection Profile and Completing the Connection
Once you have installed the client VPN software, you need to direct it to connect to the college's VPN server. The following instructions will show you how to create a connection profile in Windows and Mac so that you can reuse your VPN profile settings.
- To create the connection profile, click "Settings..." in the bottom-left corner of the window.
- In the settings dialog that opens, click the "New Connection..." button.
- In the connection settings dialog that opens, enter the values shown in the image below, replacing "first.last" in the "User Name:" field with your college network account username. Note that the proper "Server Address" is "tunnel.houghton.edu". When you have fininshed entering this information, click "OK" to close the new connection settings window.
- Now, click "OK" to close the "FortiClient SSLVPN Settings" dialog.
- Now you should be able to connect to the VPN. In the "FortiClient SSLVPN" window, ensure "Houghton College Off-Campus VPN" is selected in the dropdown menu under "Connection Name". Then, enter your password in the "Password" field and click the "Connect" button.
- The connection will now be established. You can minimize the VPN client window and work normally with access to on-campus college network resources, such as the H:\ and O:\ drives. When you are finished using the VPN, bring up the VPN client window and click "Disconnect" as shown in the image below. You will be disconnected from the VPN, and you may then close the VPN client window.
- The connection profile "Houghton College Off-Campus VPN" will be saved for future use. So long as you have this profile connected, you will only need to enter your password each time you wish to connect to the VPN.
- To create the connection profile, click "Settings..." at the bottom of the window.
- In the window that appears, enter the information shown in the window below, substituting your first and last name for "first.last" in the "User" field (note that the correct entry in the "Server" field is "tunnel.houghton.edu", which is partially obscured in the image below). When you have entered this information, click "Done".
- Now, you are ready to connect to the VPN. Back in the main VPN client window, enter your password under the "Password" field and click "Connect".
- The VPN client will now show the active connection window. When the "Status" field indicates "Tunnel Running", your connection has been successful and you will have access to internal college network resources (such as H:\, O:\ drives, etc). You may minimize this window and work with other programs as you have need.
- When you are ready to disconnect from the VPN, bring up the "FortiClient SSLVPN" window and click the "Stop" button. You will be disconnected from the VPN, and you may close the "FortiClient SSLVPN" window.
- The connection profile you created will now be saved as the "default" connection, and each time you wish to connect you will only need to enter your network password.