Refresh HC-Secure Connection
Posted by Erin Bard on 06 July 2015 10:33 AM
On Thursday, July 9, 2015, Technology Services updated our root domain certificate. This may have affected your computer's trust of the HC-Secure Wi-Fi network. You may have received a warning message saying that "HoughtonCA1" or "DC1.houghton.edu" was untrusted; or you might have been unable to connec to HC-Secure and gotten an error message. If this is the case, please follow the steps below to refresh your HC-Secure connection with the latest certificate settings.
1) Click on the Wi-Fi icon in the top menu bar (typically in the top right corner) and click on “Open Network Preferences” at the bottom of the drop down menu.
2) Click on Wi-Fi in the menu on the left and click “Advanced” located at the bottom right of the pop-up window.
3) Select HC-Secure from the list of Wi-Fi networks, and then click on the minus sign “-“ button underneath the list of networks.
4) Click OK and exit out of the Network control panel.
6) Turn WiFi off and back on.
7) Back on your desktop, click on the wireless icon again (same as step 1).
8) Select HC-Secure from the list of available wireless networks.
9) A dialog box should appear prompting you for your Houghton username and password. (When you are entering your information, make sure that the "remember this network" checkbox is selected.)
10) Click the button to log in.
11) If a window titled "Verify Certificate" appears, click "show certificate"
12) Make sure the checkbox “Always trust” is selected
13) Click Continue
14) Enter the password for your mac (not your network password) if it prompts you for one.
15) Click Continue
16) You will now be connected to the HC-Secure network. To reconnect in the future, just repeat steps 5 and 6.
1) Open up the Settings app.
2) Click on Wi-Fi near the top of the menu.
3) Select HC-Secure and click “Forget this network”
4) Turn WiFi off and back on.
5) Select HC-Secure from the list of available Wi-Fi networks.
6) A dialog box should appear prompting you for your Houghton username and password. Click "Join" once you have typed in your credentials.
7) If a window titled "Certificate" appears with the main text "DC1.houghton.edu" and sub-text "Issued by CA1", click "Trust" in the upper-right corner.
8) You will now be connected to the HC-Secure network. To reconnect in the future, repeat steps 1, 2, and 4.
Please run the Wi-Fi Installer script located at the Helpdesk website here: Wi-Fi Installer.exe
Once the Wi-Fi Installer script has finished running, you can connect to HC-Secure and it should no longer warn you about an untrusted certificate.