Prerequisite: You must have a Google account.
Any Gmail account or Houghton student account is a Google account and will work.
If you have an Android phone, chances are you already have a Google account.
Should you need to create an account, go to accounts.google.com and click on "More Options." From there you can click on "Create Account" and follow the prompts Google gives you to get your account set up.
Instructions for a laptop/desktop
- Open the internet browser of your choice. We recommend Chrome or Firefox on PC, or Safari on Mac.
- Type in "hangouts.google.com" in the address bar and hit "enter" on the keyboard (on Mac, hit "return").
- Click "Sign In" in the upper right corner if you are not already signed in.
- Type in your Google Account email address and hit "enter."
- Type in your password and hit "enter."
- Hangouts will open and a pop up introductory bubble from Google will appear.
- You can read through the bubbles by clicking the arrow to the right.
- When you get to the end they will disappear, revealing Hangouts.
- Click on "Video Call"
- A new window will appear.
- If Google asks for access to your microphone and/or camera, click "Allow."
- Google will prompt you to invite people to the call.
- You can only invite people who have Google Accounts.
- Type in the Google email address of the person you'd like to invite.
- For inviting Houghton students, you can use their Houghton email address.
- You cannot use Houghton staff/faculty addresses as they are not Google accounts.
- You can invite up to 10 people to the call.
- Invites should appear in the recipient's email inbox.
- If you'd like to disperse a link to the call rather than invite through the Google prompt, you may do so by clicking the "Send a Link" button, a link will copy to your clipboard.
- You can also save the link for rejoining that specific call later.
- Google treats calls like rooms, people can come and go, and the call can be reopened even after everyone has left. All you need is the link.
- Wait for people to join and enjoy the call.
- When you are done, simply click the red hangup button and Google will end your connection to the call.
- Note: All parties must do this for themselves for the call to end.
Hangouts can also be downloaded as a standalone app on iOS and Android devices.